Opening Our Eyes To Premades
Posted on 10 February 2020
All joking aside, the Lash industry as a whole is very divided on where we stand on premades? Why? There are a few reasons.
- Lash artists who have spent thousands of dollars, and an immeasurable amount of hours mastering their craft don’t feel it’s fair to being in a premade fan to wipe away all their experience in one fell swoop, compromising the industry as a whole.
- Experienced lash artists don’t feel that Premades offer the same level of quality as a handmade set of lashes.
- Creates more competition in the industry when lash artists who do not know how to do volume lashes can now offer this service with the assistance if premade lashes.
- They increase your cost per client.
Because of the simplicity and convenience of premade fans, they tend to sell for about $40 CAD per tray for 360 fans. This will do on average 1-2 clients. A traditional volume mixed tray retails for roughly: $25 CAD – and can complete anywhere from 3-5 clients. With premades you pay for the convenience and time saved with the cost of the product. You can see the big increase in cost for the artist by more than triple!
- Some Premades are poorly made:
You can find premades either HEAT bonded at the bottom, or GLUE bonded. The glue bonded premades tend to add more weight to the fan, which can increase the risk of damage to the natural lash. Heat bonded is the better option, due to no additional weight
- Not as customizable for the client:
You're limited as a lash artist when you just use premades. They come already made, so you are unable to tailor them to your client to the same extent you can with a hand made volume fan.
- HUGE TIME SAVER. Ever have a client who gets stuck in traffic, and she is 10-15 minutes late? And you’re booked back to back so you won't have extra time to finish her lashes? Imagine the amount of coverage you could increase for your client if you were to just pop open a premade tray and increase your speed by popping a few of those on their lashes?!
- Great for beginner lash artists, who have yet had the time to master their speed with volume lashing! Most of us began our lash journey learning classic. But not every single lash client wants JUST classic lashes. Would it have helped you earn a few extra dollars if you could advertise hybrid lashes using premades?! Money that could go towards saving for a volume lash course with your favorite educator. We all had to start somewhere.
- Great for salon owners, who will not have to invest as much time and money in training each lash artist who works for you to do hand made volume.
We need to find a way to allow the industry as a whole to be inclusive to all lash artists, including the ones who do not do handmade volume. A lash artist who chooses to offer Premade volume fans is not less of an artist than one who offers handmade volume. Let's compare the industry to restaurants.
Lash Line wants to be inclusive of ALL lash artists, which is why we will be introducing a high-quality line of Premade fans. After a lot of time and consideration, we decided to supply to lash artists who choose to use premades, while educating them on the differences and best practices with using them.
1. Educate your clients on the differences between Premades vs Hand made volume. Do not advertise premades as “ VOLUME” lashes. Advertise them as “Premade Volume, or Express Volume” lashes. Distinguishing the difference will prevent the clients from growing confusion, and allow them to have the proper expectations going into the appointment.
Cara and Jessi